Jerky is a delicious and nutritious snack that can be made from various types of meat, such as beef, chicken, turkey, pork, or even fish. It is also easy to make at home with some simple ingredients and equipment. In this article, we will show you how to make your own jerky using a method called jollyjerk.
What is Jollyjerk?
Jollyjerk is a technique of making jerky that involves marinating the meat in a mixture of soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and spices. The marinade gives the jerky a sweet and tangy flavor that is irresistible. The name jollyjerk comes from the fact that the jerky is fun to make and eat.
How to Make Jollyjerk
To make jollyjerk, you will need the following ingredients and equipment:
- 1 kg of lean meat (beef, chicken, turkey, pork, or fish)
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
- A sharp knife
- A cutting board
- A large ziplock bag
- A baking sheet
- An oven
The steps to make jollyjerk are as follows:
- Cut the meat into thin slices, about 1/4 inch thick. Trim off any excess fat or connective tissue.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, honey, vinegar, garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using) to make the marinade.
- Place the meat slices and the marinade in a large ziplock bag. Seal the bag and massage it gently to coat the meat with the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Drain the meat from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels. Arrange the meat slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 2 hours or until the meat is dry and firm but still pliable. Flip the meat halfway through for even drying.
- Let the jerky cool completely on the baking sheet before storing in an airtight container or a ziplock bag. You can keep the jerky in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Benefits of Jollyjerk
Jollyjerk is not only tasty but also healthy. Here are some of the benefits of eating jollyjerk:
- It is high in protein and low in fat and carbs, which makes it a great snack for weight loss and muscle building.
- It is rich in iron and zinc, which are essential minerals for blood health and immunity.
- It is gluten-free and dairy-free, which makes it suitable for people with food allergies or sensitivities.
- It is portable and shelf-stable, which makes it convenient for traveling, camping, hiking, or emergency situations.
Tips and Tricks for Jollyjerk
Here are some tips and tricks to make your jollyjerk even better:
- You can use any type of meat you like, but make sure it is lean and fresh. Avoid meat that has been frozen or thawed multiple times as it may affect the texture and flavor of the jerky.
- You can adjust the amount of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes according to your taste preference. You can also add other spices or herbs to the marinade, such as cumin, paprika, oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc.
- You can use a dehydrator instead of an oven to make jollyjerk. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for drying time and temperature.
- You can also use a smoker instead of an oven to make jollyjerk. This will give your jerky a smoky flavor that is hard to resist.
Jollyjerk is a fun and easy way to make your own jerky at home. It is delicious, nutritious, and versatile. You can enjoy it as a snack or use it as an ingredient in salads, sandwiches, soups, stews, etc. Try making jollyjerk today and see how much you love it!